Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Week 1, Assignment #3

I reviewed the Golden Rules for Readers Advisory. Rule #6, Don't Pigeonhole the Books, stood out to me. The author, Cindy Orr, writes, "if you don't read in a particular genre, all the books in that genre may seem the same. But to genre fans, there are infinite nuances." This is something I am guilty of. I read a lot of books outside of my preferred genres for Genre Bootcamp and I actually really enjoyed it. This article was a good reminder that I need to continue this practice even when I am not required to for formal professional development opportunities.


I also like Rule #2 "Write, Write, Write." The author suggests keeping a log of all of the books you have read along with notes about possible audiences, readalikes, and appeal factors. I like this idea and will consider implementing it. My boyfriend and I actually keep a log of the movies we watch and I have referenced it to make movie suggestions for friends. I can't believe I never thought about doing the same thing for books!



No comments:

Post a Comment