Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Week 3: The RA Conversation

Conversation 1
"The last book I read was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Everyone is reading it so I had to pick it up. It was lovely. She is such an interesting woman and so brave. I enjoyed the descriptions of the countries she went to and what she did while she was there, of course, but I think what I liked most was how she shared her inner thoughts — so reflective but funny too. I thought it might be just light fluff or all me, me, me, me, but it was so much more than that. I read all the Oprah books and just love them. Anyway I wanted to ask you for a few suggestions for my book group. It’s my turn to pick the title."

It seems to me that this reader finds books with characters with a lot of depth as well as interesting and exotic settings. She also seems to be motivated by books that are getting a lot of attention a la Oprah book club books. My first recommendation is Wild by Cheryl Strayed. The descriptions of the Pacific Crest Trail and all of the logistics, preparation, and skill required for a 3+ month hike are fascinating. Even more fascinating is that Cheryl embarked on this journey on a whim in attempt to untangle her life after her divorce, addictions, and mother's death. I would also recommend any of the following best-selling celebrity memoirs, for their comical insights on life: Bossy Pants by Tiny Fey, Yes Please by Amy Poehler, and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling.

Conversation 2

Customer: Can you recommend any vampire books that are nothing like the Twilight series?
Librarian: Let me see how I can help you. What don’t you like about Twilight?
Customer: Everything, but especially that teen love story – way too much angst! And way too slow.  Have you read any good vampire stories lately?  


I am going to assume this customer is an adult because they say "that teen love story". Having said that, it sounds like this customer wants books with characters who are vampires but not necessarily the same books that are popular with the members of some of Good Reads' vampire sub genre fan groups like the Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake series. This customer may like The Passage Series by Justin Cronin. This series is more reminiscent of Stephen King than Anne Rice, and With a compelling tone, the customer will find it faster-paced than Twilight. I would also provide the customer with a list from Goodreads or NoveList with readalikes.


Conversation 3
I just read this great book The River of Doubt.  It was about Teddy Roosevelt and this ill fated expedition to chart an uncharted river in the Amazon.  They lost almost all their provisions, the president was injured, and it turns out one of their crew was a murderer since there was a murder.  And the most amazing thing was that it true.  It was fascinating and really fast paced.  Do you have anything to recommend that is like that?

I also love unbelievable true stories like this! This customer may like The Cruelest Miles by Gay Salisbury, a fast-paced true story about the team of men and sled dogs who raced hundreds of miles in the arctic to obtain life-saving supplies for the diphtheria outbreak in 1925 Nome, Alaska. The team travels through unbroken trails in temperatures more than 60 degrees zero. Keeping with this Ice/snow theme I have introduced, this customer might also enjoy Touching the Void by Joe Simpson (has been adapted into a movie, too). Simpson writes about his adventures mountaineering in the Andes. Another fast-paced selection that is unbelievable page after page.

No comments:

Post a Comment